On 23.2.2022 16.13, sophi wrote:
Answering in detail to your request,
Le 23/02/2022 à 14:13, Olivier Hallot a écrit :
2) Have Machine Translation as a suggestion alongside with Memory Translation.

Today, in Help long strings, I copy&pasta between Weblate and a free machine translation service (Google, Bing, Deepl, Matecat...) to spare typing effort especially when weblate memory translation returns no match.

Machine translation served as suggestion forces a second read before committing translation.

You were in the team meeting yesterday when we discussed it. Before going there, we need to investigate on several topics. Following that, I wanted to open another thread to get feedback on Matecat that you proposed (thanks :). Testing it this morning, I see it covers a good list of languages and several formats. Compared to the others, it would remove the expensive costs of some or legal issues.

I looked more deeply into Matecat now - I never before managed to find information about the way it uses machine translation. It looks like Matecat itself will not give us any benefits. See these resources:

https://guides.matecat.com/my

"By default, we provide Google Translate API (we pay for it and offer it for free to Matecat users). If for any reason the Google Translate API is not available, we automatically switch to the Microsoft Bing API."

https://guides.matecat.com/machine-translation-engines

It looks like ModernMT is the system that is associated with Matecat creators:
https://guides.matecat.com/modernmt-mmt-plug-in

It is open source, even though it has a higher quality version for enterprises:
https://github.com/modernmt/modernmt

Weblate does support it, also with a self-hosted version:
https://github.com/WeblateOrg/weblate/blob/main/weblate/machinery/modernmt.py
https://github.com/WeblateOrg/weblate/issues/1627#issuecomment-657171205

However, Weblate also supports LibreTranslate, which uses OpenNMT at its core:
https://github.com/WeblateOrg/weblate/blob/main/weblate/machinery/libretranslate.py
https://libretranslate.com/
https://github.com/LibreTranslate/LibreTranslate
https://github.com/argosopentech/argos-translate
https://opennmt.net/

Could you please also evaluate LibreTranslate in addition to ModernMT?

Ilmari