Hello JJ,

Yes you can volunteer to be the lead.

I have added Bambara to Pootle (note, the locale code I used is "bm"
instead of "bm-ML") and made you the admin of this locale. All you have
to do now is add yourself to the wiki page (you'll have to register on
the wiki to do that, or ask someone else) and start localizing.

I've initialized the LibreOffice 4.1 UI project for you. That's plenty
of work. If you would want any other project initialized, ask for that
on the list.

What you could also do before starting is to take care to publish the
information about the plural forms in your language on
http://docs.translatehouse.org/projects/localization-guide/en/latest/l10n/pluralforms.html
and https://translations.launchpad.net/+languages/bm . From skimming a
Wikipedia article about your language, I assume that the correct plural
rule would be "nplurals=2; plural=(n != 1);" (which means, there's one
singular form for cases when there's just one object, and one plural
form for all other cases), but I'd rather have you confirm or correct
that (we don't (yet) make use of these forms in LibreOffice, but having
this well documented will definitely help other projects).

There's plenty of info for beginners on the wiki, but I suspect it might
be a bit disorganized and difficult to find. For example, here's the
guide about using Pootle (thanks Sophie!):
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/PootleGuide .

Good luck and don't hesitate to write to this list if you have questions
or feedback!
And apologies for ignoring your previous message.

Rimas