Hi Mihovil,

On Friday, 2012-08-31 11:03:41 +0200, Mihovil Stanic wrote:

That means you could have entered 31.8 or 31/8 or 31-8 in a
cell and LO would recognise it as 31.08.12
LO 3.6.x removed that support and now you need to enter 31.08.2012
for date to be recognised.

This is not true. It happened to be the case for Croatian hr-HR and
locales for which I got no feedback what incomplete date input patterns
should be added. Other locales have patterns for incomplete date input.
What got lost for locales using '.' was the ability to enter dates on
the numeric keypad with '/' or '-'

Info from Eike is that some people complained about recognition
patters and that's why it got removed totally.

Not "some people", this is experience of over 10 years in OOo/LibO being
responsible in the Calc and i18n area and number formatter/scanner that
users were confused and annoyed by the lax recognition of dates where
they did not expect it.

Eike made a patch which will probably be available in 3.6.2 in which
he returns for functionality, but as I understood not as defult
option.

It would be good if everyone suggests default recognition options
for their locale.

I want to avoid having to explicitly add patterns for each locale and
having to figure out for new locales what the patterns could be. I'd
rather with an algorithm during build time let generate a minimal set of
meaningful patterns from each locale's date and decimal separator and
YMD order. Some locales have additional requirements, these can be
individually added to locale data. That richer set then could be default
from which in the new edit patterns option field the user could remove
patterns.

Now, my suggestion for Croatian locale would be:
D.M;D.M.;D.M.Y;D/M;D/M/;D/M/Y

Any reason why the Croatian locale should have D.M. or D/M/ with
trailing separator?

  Eike

GnuPG key 0x293C05FD : 997A 4C60 CE41 0149 0DB3  9E96 2F1A D073 293C 05FD