Hi!

On 2020-02-27 21:20, Shivam Kumar Singh wrote:
My name is Shivam Kumar Singh a second year student from IIEST Shibpur,
India. I am highly interested in the LO code base and would like to
contribute to it in GSoC 2020. I have been working on EasyHacks for
about some months now and have recently got an InterestingHack merged.
Please have a look at my contributions
here  https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/q/owner:shivamhere247%2540gmail.com

Thank you!

For GSoC I am interested in "Styles Inspector" and "Styles Highlighter"
project. The purpose of the project is to understand the layout of any
document. There's a lot of formatting done in Character Styles, Page
styles which changes the appearance and we want them at one place so
that its easier for the user to learn the changes. I went through
Heiko's blog and wanted to discuss some things with you. The Inspector
basically gives an overview of all the formatting done in text whereas
Highlighter tells us about all "in the document what styles are
applied". I didn't understand this part. We are not talking about
Character or Paragraph styles as we are handling them in the Inspector.
Are we talking about page styles here ?

To the contrary, we are talking about Character / Paragraph styles here.
The "Highlighter" is intended as kind of "color map" that allows you to
see *where* are the bounds of differently-formatted parts of text, while
"Inspector" should show you which are the specific properties applied at
a given *point* (cursor position) coming from various levels.

Also there's a part of Direct Formatting in the Style Inspector, which
overrides both Character and Paragraph Styles, So Basically what we are
viewing currently in the document is the Direct Formatted Style and all
other applied styles have been overshadowed. If so don't you think there
should be more options like Indent or Alignment in Direct Formatting
Column too ?

Of course every level should show every applied setting (it might
require collapsing/expanding to be manageable).

Currently I am focusing on the Styles Inspector part. I would be great
if we could discuss it furthur.
My nick on IRC is shivam_.

Great; you know how to communicate there :-) But I suppose that
high-level decisions would be best discussed here on mailing list, to
not be lost in the short IRC memory :-)

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski