On 29.02.20 09:49, Shivam Kumar Singh wrote:
But in both we are mostly focusing on the Paragraph and Character styles. There can be page,
frame, list styles too. Should we not consider them ?

Nope, but PS and CS are the most important. From the blog post [1]: "If the paragraph is referring
to a list or table style, or when the the text is placed within a frame, this would also be shown.
Another complexity comes with conditional styles. The simple solution is to show name and
attributes of the actual applied style but with a note that a condition is met and what style is
used."

Regarding the placing, for the “Highlighter” I think adding another tab in the Styles side pane
would be a good option as we could use more space here, and it would be a cleaner approach. For
“Inspector” a new window could be a good option.
What do you think ?

Tabs in the sidebar refer to completely different views, actually tabs. See [2] for the correct
terminology. Whether you talk about tabs or decks, I think it goes the wrong direction. The
highlighter is something you need while scrolling through the mostly finalized document in order to
spot formatting failures. I don't see this in any form realized at the sidebar.

Also for the various styles like “Headings” or “Default”, as Mike had pointed we will need to
collapse/expand the menus, for that we can use DropDown box.

The proposal is to use a tree and collapse a style if it contains more than x nodes. "The example
starts with the Default style, collapsed as it consists of more than eight nodes (the number from
when nodes are collapsed is chosen arbitrary here and could be higher)." Usually you define a large
number of attributes for the top level (Default) and derive with just a few changed that can be
shown easily in a tree to make the relation clear.

Please give me a few more insights and also some bugs closely related these projects which you
think I must solve before beginning the project.

34002   EDITING - Add Reveal Codes feature like there is in WordPerfect.
38194   Style indicator in document margin
88559   Display of inherited attributes from parent styles in Styles dialog
89826   Allow removal/reset of individual style attributes
94427   UI: Show indicator of currently applied style when a different style is selected in styles
sidebar
106556  Add functionality that highlights all directly formatted text
115311  UI missing for nesting character styles
118781  UI: Change the 'Contains' section in the Modify Style dialogues to improve the transparency
and use of hierarchical styles
129422  Suppress listing of parent styles in the Find and Replace dialog

Many thanks for your interest in the topic,
Heiko

[1]
https://design.blog.documentfoundation.org/2019/11/05/proposal-to-conveniently-highlight-and-inspect-styles-in-libreoffice-writer/
[2] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Guidelines/SideBar