On 23/11/2019 06:27, Chris Sherlock wrote:
On 23 Nov 2019, at 2:11 am, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman@redhat.com> wrote:
Sure, if one is willing to invest in adding sal.osl.noisyarea and reclassifying existing uses.
Which is typically not the case when you do a one-off SAL_LOG=... debug run.  Which is where
judicious use of the facility by code authors pays off.

But this brings us back to the use case that you had identified - using SAL_LOG wasn’t the original
issue in the patch, incidentally, the issue was use of the tabs in the SAL_LOG. That appears to
have been the “misuse” of the logging facility.

No, what I considered a misuse was not the tabs but the intended use of the SAL_INFOs as you described it in your Code-Review-1 comment at <https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/83319/> "Remove some excessive log formatting". (The tabs are apparently a relevant part of how you intend to make use of those SAL_INFOs, given you -1'ed their removal.) From this thread here it should be clear that it is OK to disagree with my considering it a misuse, and to continue with that practice there.