Hello! Is there any work being done to support the Apache Parquet file format?

The two data processing tools that I use locally with parquet are:

 * python pandas [1] [2] for programmatic access
 * visidata [3] (CLI that uses pandas under the hood) for more
   "interactive" access

I'm wondering why Parquet is not yet a supported format in LibreOffice Calc (and most desktop worksheet processing tools for that matter).

On an unrelated note, I was also surprised to find out that Tableau only supports Parquet through a database server like Apache Drill [4][5].

I feel that parquet files are under-rated, and that perhaps pushing for native desktop application support would encourage its usage over the standard (and less efficient) CSV file format. I may be completely wrong and would welcome feedback.

 * [1]
   https://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/stable/reference/api/pandas.read_parquet.html
 * [2]
   https://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/stable/reference/api/pandas.DataFrame.to_parquet.html