On 24.02.2018 00:57, Tomaž Vajngerl wrote:
On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 3:48 PM, Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy@gmail.com> wrote:

The X11 backend has certain issues (e.g. reading back huge images via
XGetImage), the GTK3 backend performs all rendering via software and
the OpenGL backend on Linux lacks certain features which are crucial
to achieve acceptable performance (e.g. accelerated text rendering).

I have added the idea to improve OpenGL backend, which I'm also
willing to mentor. For GTK3 - Caolan is the right guy who knows what
could be improved there performance wise. But OTOH any X11 are
probably pointless as the idea AFAIK is to get rid of those backends
in the long run, so I'm not sure who would even be interested in
mentoring that. :)

the gen X11 backend is useful as a fail-safe fallback when the other
ones don't work; i've got bad experiences running some of the bibisect
repos on Fedora 27 where gen is the only one that doesn't crash on
startup, and i guess one of the reasons for that is that ~nobody does
changes in gen or the system's X11 libs nowadays.

so i'm mostly interested in preserving gen as-is and not adding fancy
new stuff with unknown compatibility issues to it...