On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 04:25:35PM +0200, Markus Mohrhard wrote:
Did you by chance have an opportunity to also ran "make" from scratch on
that machine? I assume/hope it wont take the 70 min + 11 min = 82 min. a
straight addition would make one assume, because make will use idle job slots
during a full build.
real    83m37.618s
user    493m30.052s
sys    29m44.404s

Ah ok, so these add up pretty linear in both user and real.

And then the following time make (therefore again only executing tests):

real    9m16.741s
user    45m31.208s
sys    0m37.516s

Thats interesting as it should be comparable with:

real    6m37.479s
user    45m4.740s

and while it is for CPU time it isnt for wall time by a factor of 50%. So seems
we have quite some variance here ...

P.S.: For reference, the output of "time make build-nocheck" would be
helpful too (aka a noop incremental build time overhead in make/dep parsing
etc.)
real    0m38.787s
user    0m16.300s
sys    0m0.896s

Expected I guess -- and it seems heavily I/O bound, this is single threaded
and the CPU is waiting 2/3rds of the time.

Thanks for the additional numbers!

Best,

Bjoern