On 17/05/16 02:14, Xen wrote:
Markus Mohrhard schreef op 17-05-2016 2:37:

I hope this long text gives you something to think about.

Just as an outsider:

Separating tests that are meaningful for a developer, and tests that are
meaningful for a builder, seems most meaningful to me ;-).

Even as a developer, even if you were actively working, I don't think
you would want to run the full suite more than once a week, even if you
are making many changes daily, for instance.

So I think the goal is to reduce the incidence, to reduce the frequency
of running the full set, by people that cannot gain much from it, as you
indicated.

Just some thoughts, and just one opinion.

Roughly what I was thinking.

Can we split "make tests" and create a bunch of targets like
"calc_tests", "writer-tests" etc all called from it? Plus, of course
"core_tests" which could either be called from "tests", or could be
called from all the subsection tests.

Over time move all the top-level tests into the lower tests, and only
add stuff to the lower tests.

So, as Xen says, if you're working on a section you only need to run the
tests for that section regularly, and the full tests occasionally. If
that reduces the cost enough, maybe even make the tests run as a matter
of course ...

Cheers,
Wol