On 07/04/16 00:17, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 6:14 PM, Anthonys Lists <antlists@youngman.org.uk> wrote:
On 07/04/2016 00:08, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:

Imho, IF we do something like this, we should use the git facilities to
create a shallow clone backup, that people can then use ftp or rsync or
some
other interruptible protocol to download.

We have been doing that for years:

http://dev-www.libreoffice.org/bundles/

That should then make this whole discussion moot then? Just modify the
instructtions to warn newcomers that master *can* be broken, and if they
want a known-good build to start with, go and get a bundle rather than using
clone. Once thye've got a good build they can "git pull" and go from there.

the bundle is not guarantee to build anymore than a random master...

It is just that we regularly (in fact is a cron iirc) tar-gz core.git
and other repo, precisely for people that have trouble doing a git
clone on a big repo

In that case, rather than firing it on a cron job, is there any chance
that we could adjust the build job so that - if the most recent bundle
is more than say one day out (dunno what time limit you have on your
cron job) - it fires off the tar job after a clean build.

And you make it sound like it's just a tar. If it's for people who have
problems with git clone, shouldn't we make it a shallow clone?

Minimal change (famous last words) for maximal impact, hopefully :-)

Cheers,
Wol