that sounds like a lot of work...

What if I convert my extension to a LO module? Then I would get direct
access to all the internal stuff.

What would be the advantages and disadvantages of a LO module over an
extension? Can modules be installed separately in Windows (I know that
it works in Ubuntu where writer, calc etc. are all separate packages).

BTW the extension I am talking about is iMath:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ooo-imath/

1. How much work is it to expose the new dialog code? Can you
give me a short sketch of what that means?

In extensions you work with stuff like com.sun.star.awt.XButtons
while in vcl you work with PushButton so it wouldn't be useful to
expose the current VclBuilder stuff as it is now cause it works
with vcl widgets and not the 1000yard higher abstracted-to-death
uno api.

I haven't really looked into it, but probably in practice you'd
have to end up abstracting the current vcl builder and vcl layout
stuff and provide two backends for the builder, a simple vcl-widget
one and another uno-widget one and create new uno wrapper for the
layout widgets to go alongside the existing ones.

Jan