Michael Meeks wrote:
      Sure - that's the draw:data stuff - the QR code is ~trivial to
re-generate from the raw data; so in this case:

   draw:engine="org.libreoffice.draw.barcode"
   draw:data="this is the QR code content">

Ah, that's quite nice!

See above - I might miss the broader picture, but I think easiest
would be direct embedding of the graphic. Would also solve your bitmap
question.

      Fair cop. Of course the problem is really a bit larger than this
though: we want to be able to have 'field' or other equivalent
functionality that lets people easily automate / populate QR codes via
scripting / database'y bits (I guess).

      It'd also be rather ideal to be able to eg. render the page-number
field using python in some arbitrary / fun way =) [ growing flowers or
whatever ].

      So the question is mostly - which foundation to try to build that thing
on =)

      Does the CustomShape stuff look like a sensible foundation on which to
build that ? I guess I'd really like some custom field-like
functionality too ;-)

Compared to e.g. svg, custom shapes appear pretty limited in
expressiveness. OTOH, you get interaction capabilities (those
broadness-of-smile handles) for free.

For the all-generic-use-whatever-complex-rendering approach, I'd
personally stick an svg image in with custom (comments, or
foreign-namespace) data content, that an extension can then update.

For your flowery page number, probably a custom shape is just fine. ;)

In the end, I probably have no clear idea what your
field/scripting/database use case really entails. There's XForms,
which claims to solve those things & world hunger, but hey. :)

Cheers,

-- Thorsten