On Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 04:57:08PM +0100, Jens Tröger <jens.troeger@light-speed.de> wrote:
I'm running on a server which has no X libraries installed.  I noticed
that running LO locally on my Mac for a document conversion takes about
5 seconds, on the server it took almost 3 minutes.  My suspicion was
that the X output got in the way, causing slowdown.  That's why I wanted
to build a LO without any of the X overhead...  but that seems to be
difficult already.  (No, LO is not a debug build :-))

The conversion time has a constant part (LO starting up) and a variable
part that depends on the import/export filters. For simple input, a
conversion takes about 2 seconds for me, so 3 minutes definitely sounds
like a bug, unless your input is some benchmark document. ;-)

If you do some mass-conversion and the 2 seconds constant overhead isn't
acceptable, then have a look at using LO via LOK or UNO that allows
multiple conversions with a single startup.

All in all, --without-x (formerly known as --enable-headless) probably
will just bring you more troubles, as almost nobody uses that option, so
you will start using some code path that gets very little testing.