what I will put in...is that there have a been a boat load of well
intentioned software, where for some reason, the support community decided
that entry required a high cost of time + effort.

And those companies disappeared, eventually.

Quickfix on sourceforge had a very low cost of entry.  Developers could pick
it up and run with it.  RStudio has a low cost of entry.  Developers
download it, build it and then run with it.  Builders those app..is what is
called a 'no brainer'.

LibreOffice has a terrible high cost of entry..at least for windows.