On 08/17/2014 06:54 PM, Terrence Enger wrote:
It is possible to direct LibreOffice to a particular user profile
directory using the command line parameter
-env:UserInstallation=<URL>, and I have grown into the habit of using
a separate user profile for each bug report I look at.

I think that this parameter inhibits the usual conversion of user
profiles across versions of LibreOffice.  Is this right?

No; what happens exactly is: Whenever at LO 4 start-up no LO 4 user profile exists (e.g. because -env:UserInstallation points to a directory that does not exist) and a LO 3 user profile exists at the canonic location (i.e., not taking into account any -env:UserInstallation) and the LO 3 user profile does not contain a MIGRATED4 marker file, then the MIGRATED4 marker file is written into the LO 3 user profile and data from the LO 3 user profile is migrated into the newly created LO 4 user profile.

Is it a reportable bug if LibreOffice crashes when using a user
profile created by an earlier version?  ( I tend to the position that
every crash is a bug, but I can well see that a lot of bugs
"RESOLVED WONTFIX" could become annoying. )

Such crashes should generally be considered bugs that should be fixed. An exception is when the user profile data that causes the crash can only have been produced by a "non-official" LO version (e.g. a nightly snapshot).

Stephan