On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 12:05 AM, Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud@gmail.com> wrote:

The devs really like lo# (as it gives them more room in commit
messages),

Yeah, and it is the dev that have to type it a lot, no ?

Sure -- and people on the Ask site, and QA people in FDO...err....
<insert abbreviation here>, etc..

but by a wide margin the only 4-char abbreviation in the
list has taken an early lead.
Sure, but if you were to ask that question on the dev-ml rather than
here.. I'd bet you you'd get many more vote for lo#

true.

I'd always like to have more devs listening-in on what we talk about
on the QA list...
;-)

Norbert

PS: btw I don't see the appeal to want to stick characters in there to
re-inforce the idea that it is a bugzilla number... the # in it is
sufficient enough to make that clear
so the b/bz stuff is not only a waste of space.. but also completely
redundant. it is like climbing up or descending down...

Fair, fair. One other thing:
The abbreviation has a secondary purpose: to be used as shorthand for
the bugtracker. Using our two highest-profile options:
"Joel, go take a look at regressions on FDO" => "Joel, go take a look
at regressions on LO"
"Joel, go take a look at regressions on FDO" => "Joel, go take a look
at regressions on LOBZ"

--R