Just my 2c worth on this.
Sorry but just seen this so I have not read all the posts so far.

Yes you can set up the page - but that is not where you logically set up the tray - it is where you set up the page! When you print you need to be able to select the printer (no point in setting it on the page because the page is configured without knowing which printers will be available when you come to print). So the print dialogue needs to allow such printer specific things as printer to use, paper weight, tray etc If it is set on the Page then the printer dialogue must give the option of changing any settings imposed by the author of the page to match the current circumstances relating to the printer.