On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 08:35:07AM +0200, Andrzej J. R. Hunt wrote:
On Fri, 2013-07-19 at 04:40 +0200, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

2) This is a bit scary in the Debian package description of
   libfbembed:

    Contrary to libfbclient, libfbembed is not thread-safe.

   Taking a quick look at e.g. OResultSet::ensureDataAvailable,
   it is mutexed, but (as far as I understand) with a *different*
   mutex for each instance (for each object). So this does not keep
   multiple ResultSets from making parallel calls to non-thread-safe
   libfbembed from different threads.

Yes, I'll probably have to have a mutex on the Connection then which all
the other objects use (I'm not entirely sure -- can we have multiple
files open independently in parallel withe each connection having its
own mutex, or does the entire driver need to have one mutex)?

If it were not thread-safe, then the entire driver needs a
mutex. However, we just got the information that since 2.5.0,
libfbembed is thread-safe, so there is no mutexing necessary for the
driver. Any mutexing that is putatively necessary at a lower level (in
OResultSet or in OConnection) would only be necessary because of the
structure of these classes.

--
Lionel