Looking at:

 http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Dev-f1639786.html

depending on time of day you find 50-90% patch mails on there. As the writer of
mail forward I have been repeatedly asked if we can kill this spam.

I fully agree with this sentiment -- the dev-list should be taylored to be
inviting to a wide audience of volunteer contributors and not only to those
hardcore contributors who are full-time sponsored developers. I dont think the
ESC is the right place to decide this as it is overwhelmingly filled with the
second.

So, is there anyone who is _not_ a sponsored developer opposing to kill the mail
spammage? If so:

- could this be mitigated by a separate gerrit-patches mailing list?
- could this be mitigated by a daily digest of "gerrit news"?
- could this be mitigated by other means?

I think the drowning of the list with automated patch mail is really hurting us (as
did the patch mails before). Note that this does:
- not mean we should weaken the requirements for the list to be clearly about
  development and related to code only
- not mean that it is evil to send a patch to the list (although its a bit
  misguided given how gerrit simplifies and enables things ;) )

I was forced to do the mail forward thingie to accomodate migration of
antiquiated workflows -- I was never very happy with it and really embarrased
to defend it when I would have never done it like that myself.

Opinions?

Best,

Bjoern