Hi Michael,

On Thu, 2013-04-04 at 17:59 +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
Hi David,

      I was wondering - what with your work on unit tests, and the sexy new
cross-platform auto-build thing whether we could combine the two to
improve the sal/ unit tests.

yes, you mean gerrit-buildbot-plugin, the queue manager:
* documentation: [1]
* source code [2]
* architecture overview [3].

Because you are not the first one who ask to combine it with feature
foo, and it is by no means related to any feature, let me summarize the
steps involved in test build of specific gerrit patch.

The only variable thing currently is the scheduling of jobs, we call it
"trigger strategy", i. e. on which conditions a specific gerrit patch
set get built. We have implemented four different strategies:

* manual submit, currently only gerrit admin team can trigger it [4]

* positive review by member of restricted gerrit group.

* patch set created event: each gerrit patch get unconditionally built,
we don't have hardware to handle it.

* extend core gerrit patch action panel and include a "Schedule" button,
visible to restricted gerrit group members only [5]. While that solution
is our favorite option, we need to patch the core gerrit to make it
possible to extend core gerrit pages from gerrit-plugin. My core gerrit
patch was unfortunately rejected [6].

Manual trigger strategy is currently the active strategy. So to get
feature foo to test build by gerrit-buildbot, you need the follow steps:

1. submit patch to gerrit, in your specific case enable all osl tests
you need.
2. ping gerrit admin team member and ask to schedule a build for that
specific patch.
3. if your build failed, ammend your commit, submit new gerrit patch set
and repeat from step #2.

Here is a nice (very current) example how it worked: [7] ;-)

Note: as Thorsten mentioned on ESC call, there are efforts underway to
put more hardware on buildot. Once we are there, we may consider to
change/extend the trigger strategy.

[1]
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/plugins/buildbot/Documentation/index.html
[2] https://github.com/davido/gerrit-buildbot-plugin