I was recently involved in a conversation related Calc and Excel compatibility. At issue is the fact that LO returns POWER(0,0) = 1 and Excel returns an error.

I have seen two primary means of dealing with this suggested. The first is to create a compatibility function for POWER(x,y) to match the behavior in Excel. My understanding of how this would work is as follows.

1. Create another function such as POWER.ALTERNATE(x,y) that behaves as desired. 2. When an Excel file is read, every instance of POWER is replaced with POWER.ALTERNATE. 3. When an Excel file is written, every instance of POWER.ALTERNATE is converted back to POWER.

I vaguely remember someone on list mentioning that they had implemented alternate Calc functions, but I do not remember the context.

This leaves a few questions in my mind.

(Q) Is a user able to use POWER.ALTERNATE inside of Calc?

(Q) When saved as an ODS file, certainly we don't want to write POWER.ALTERNATE because then it is using a nonstandard function that will not be used anywhere else and can only be read by AOO. In other words, I assume that we would always write POWER rather than POWER.ALTERNATE and the only way to retain the behavior is to save the file as an excel file or to mess with user defined attributes while writing the file.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The alternate suggestion was to add a "compatibility mode". This has the advantage that it can be turned on and off at will so that Calc will simply behave that way. It also allows other functions to be changed to check the flag and behave accordingly. This also feels like a larger initial change and would require far more buy-in from the community to implement.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php