Am 07.11.2012 16:20, schrieb Lubos Lunak:
> >It also might be a good idea to reconsider the "symbols" name,
> >unless you want to repeatedly explain it to people who for some
> >reason keep getting confused by all this stuff over and over again
> >(it's a lot of fun I can assure you, and "debug" vs "debug symbols"
> >is just asking for it).
>
>will do. Do you have any preferences?
>--with-profile-info
>--with-backtrace-info
  I don't. I have no intentions to be the one explaining what it does.
If no one has any opinion on it, I'm going to name it --enable-symbols-only.

> >File solenv/gbuild/gbuild.mk
> >Line 134: gb_SYMBOL := $(true)
> >This makes --enable-debug/dbgutil and --enable-symbols dependant,
> >even though your configure checks say that should not be used together.
>
>yes, these options are mutually exclusive.
>
> >Or, put differently, this breaks the selective debuginfo functionality.
>
>Why? gb_SYMBOL is used only in --enable-symbols case.
>My intention was not to touch --enable-debug/dbgutil case at all.
ifneq ($(strip $(DEBUG)),)
gb_DEBUGLEVEL := 1
+ifneq ($(gb_DEBUGLEVEL),0)
+gb_SYMBOL := $(true)
+ifeq ($(gb_SYMBOL),$(true))
+gb_LinkTarget_CXXFLAGS += $(GGDB2)

  I.e. --enable-debug/dbgutil leads to gb_SYMBOL being true as well, which
globally sets the -g flag, overriding any selective use.

  I suggest you just drop the gb_DEBUGLEVEL -> gb_SYMBOL setting, that'll
keep --enable-symbols separate from --enable-debug, so it shouldn't break
anything else.
Thank you for the clarification, missed it.
  That'll of course still leave two different systems for
setting -g in there, but this whole debug stuff is such an entangled mess
that it won't make a big difference in the end.
May be after restoring that old --enable-symbols way, we could refactor it and merge these two different systems for setting -g like you suggested? At upcoming LO Hackfest?

Thanks
David