On Wednesday 07 of November 2012, d.ostrovsky@idaia.de wrote:
[bringing the discussion to ML as it related to other thread on this topic]

Quoting "Lubos Lunák (via Code Review)" <gerrit@gerrit.libreoffice.org>:
Lubos Lunák has posted comments on this change.

Change subject: restore --enable-symbols option again
It seems to be not so easy to differentiate between two approaches:
* --enable-debug => which can be enhanced with selective debuginfo
* --enable-symbols (or whatever new name we want to give to that old
option)

one option modifies optimization, another not
one option has impact on stl library, another not

 The only option that affects STL is --enable-dbgutil, --enable-debug has no
effect there whatsoever (other than its overall effect).

It also might be a good idea to reconsider the "symbols" name,
unless you want to repeatedly explain it to people who for some
reason keep getting confused by all this stuff over and over again
(it's a lot of fun I can assure you, and "debug" vs "debug symbols"
is just asking for it).

will do. Do you have any preferences?
--with-profile-info
--with-backtrace-info

 I don't. I have no intentions to be the one explaining what it does.

File solenv/gbuild/gbuild.mk
Line 134: gb_SYMBOL := $(true)
This makes --enable-debug/dbgutil and --enable-symbols dependant,
even though your configure checks say that should not be used together.

yes, these options are mutually exclusive.

Or, put differently, this breaks the selective debuginfo functionality.

Why? gb_SYMBOL is used only in --enable-symbols case.
My intention was not to touch --enable-debug/dbgutil case at all.

ifneq ($(strip $(DEBUG)),)
gb_DEBUGLEVEL := 1
+ifneq ($(gb_DEBUGLEVEL),0)
+gb_SYMBOL := $(true)
+ifeq ($(gb_SYMBOL),$(true))
+gb_LinkTarget_CXXFLAGS += $(GGDB2)

 I.e. --enable-debug/dbgutil leads to gb_SYMBOL being true as well, which
globally sets the -g flag, overriding any selective use.

 I suggest you just drop the gb_DEBUGLEVEL -> gb_SYMBOL setting, that'll
keep --enable-symbols separate from --enable-debug, so it shouldn't break
anything else. That'll of course still leave two different systems for
setting -g in there, but this whole debug stuff is such an entangled mess
that it won't make a big difference in the end.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak@suse.cz