On 2012-09-28 16:00, Caolán McNamara wrote:
On Fri, 2012-09-28 at 14:17 +0200, Noel Grandin wrote:
you can do this:

     void f(OUString s) {
          s = "2";
     }

     OUString s = "1";
     f(s);
     cout << s; // will print "2"
That will print "1" not "2".

Maybe you meant

void f(OUString& s) {
  s = "2";
}

OUString s = "1";
f(s);
cout << s; // will print "2"

but that's perfectly reasonable.

C.

Yeah, that's what I meant.
But that's also what I have a problem with.
It means that any OUString field or variable is effectively mutable,
which makes the difference between it and OUStringBuffer boil down
to the presence of the nCapacity field.

I find it perfectly reasonable that a variable of a value type (as
opposed to polymorphic type) is assignable. In fact, I would be
surprised if it were not. Value types are supposed to mimic the behavior
of primitive types; that is why copy constructor and operator= are
created by the compiler unless one disables them. You are not surprised
that

int i(1);
i = 2;

or

char const* s("1");
s = "2";

works, are you? So why

rtl::OUString s("1");
s = "2":

should be different? C++ already has a way to express that a variable is
not mutable: the 'const' modifier.

Last, but not least, working assignment is requirement for many, if not
all, STL containers.

D.