On 06/21/2012 10:51 PM, Michael Stahl wrote:
On 21/06/12 21:32, bfo wrote:
Disagree. It is a page for bug reporters. I really like the gerrit migration
and would like to see it integrated with Bugzilla. Also always precommit
hooks can be implemented if developers tend to forget to put a bug number
into a commit message. I already stumbled upon UNCONFIRMED bugs which have
been fixed already and suddenly changed into RESOLVED FIXED. I would like to
know what is going on with the bugs at any moment.

such a precommit hook doesn't work so well.  there are lots of commits
that do cleanups, refactorings, fix build breakers, etc. none of which
have or need a bug id.

in the OOo project there was a policy that every commit include a bug
id, and the result was that all of these build breaker fixes used the
same notorious #i10000# number, which doesn't help anybody.

...plus, it (together with the CWS process, but the bug ID requirement alone was often reason enough to "just not bother to do it") prevented small "drive-by" fixes and enhancements from going into the code base. The much lower overhead (esp. for accepted committers) in LO is IMO one of the big benefits over the old OOo.

i've sometimes found bugs that were already fixed on master, but in the
vast majority of the cases the author of the commit was not aware of the
bug, i.e. the bug was a almost-but-not-exactly duplicate of the bug the
author mentioned, or the author had a bug in a non-fdo tracker, or it
was just something the author found themselves or whatever.

This happens to me regularly. Even though I try to keep an overview of bugzilla, I often only learn later that there actually was a bugzilla bug for something I just fixed because I had stumbled upon it independently.

Stephan