On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 5:26 AM, Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel@mamane.lu> wrote:

Ah, I understand. When the gerrit repos are the "true one source" and
gerrit will do the "push" automatically once someone validates the
patch in the web interface, what will "Committer" be? The one that
uploaded the patch or the one that validated it in the web interface?

That will be dictated by the 'committer'/'author' fiels of the uploaded patch
it is not touched afaik by gerrit

and isn't the whole point of OpenID is 're-use'.

And? That I might be able to 're-use' on another website in 5 years
does not make it any easier or more attractive to go through a
double-plus-more-complicated setup to get an OpenID identity
(double-plus-more-complicated compared to clicking "register" and
copy-pasting a random password generated by pwgen or "dd
if=/dev/urandom count=1 bs=9 | uuencode -m foo". Plus the though
choice of "OK, who (which OpenID provider) do I want to give the power
to impersonate me"?)

To add insult to injury, I cannot 're-use' *any* of my *existing*
reusable authentication methods. I have an OpenPGP card, SSH keys in
files, I have X.509 client certs (in files, on smartcard, ...),
etc. Noooo, it has to be *yet* *another* method.

1/ I did not design nor wrote gerrit (or it would certainly not be in Java.
2/ It is a case of damned if you do, damned if you don;t.
The exact same complain about "*yet* another method" was raised
because our wiki _does_ not use OpenIDfor auth.
3/ I know that our sysadm are looking at setting up our 'own' OpenID
service, if/when that happen and is flexible enough
we may be able to patch/configure gerrit so that loggin is just one
click awya (just like google-based onpenid is today)

Norbert