On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 06:42:44PM +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
Hi guys,

On Wed, 2012-06-06 at 16:33 +0100, Iain Billett wrote:
I haven't experimented but I've heard that not using power-of-two
lengths is seriously detrimental to performance.

      Must make a mental note to ask a GPU hacker; in fact - lets do that :-)
Luc - sorry to bother you with a quick question. For all these Android /
portable 3D chipsets that you deal with - is it really true that we need
to allocate power-of-two sized, preferably square textures ? [ we're
working on rendering documents to bitmaps to manipulate them for a
LibreOffice android viewer ].

 Considering we'll be using lots of resources to begin I think we
should make every reasonable optimisation

      Sure; but say we have a Tablet, mine has 1280x800 resolution, are you
seriously suggesting rounding 1280 up to 2048 ? and 800 up to 1024 ?
giving a 2Mpixel texture instead of a 1Mpixel texture ;-) is that really
going to be more fast/efficient. Presumably having a sane rowstride (eg.
1280) makes a ton of sense, but a power of two in each dimension ?
Anyhow - Luc can give an authoritative answer :-)

Also, in this arrangement, It would be nice to have the dimensions of
the "document" area of the texture. Then if the rest of the bitmap is
fully transparent and the plane is too we can render a "page" alone
and keep track of dimensions.

      I guess.

My main concern with all this is in fact dealing with user interaction
i.e. mapping measurements in pixels to OpenGL coordinates. This is
more of a problem for editing, though.

      Yep.

Also, are we intending to have continuous scroll documents ( with all
the pages available via scroll - like most desktop applications ) or
would we be happy to have users flick (or otherwise) through pages. I
think the latter would make it easier to manage resources for large
documents.

      I think we'll want to flick through pages when we have them :-) For
spreadsheets of course we don't really have that (hence liking doubles
for positioning the view-pane incidentally).

      Thanks !

              Michael.

Not sure whether it is so detrimental for performance, I guess it
depends on the hw and driver implementation. And yes, it depends on the
GL version whether non-power-of-two textures are accepted.

For the record, i am not such a big 3D/GPU buff, most of my experience
is with display stuff, some 2d accel/video/mpeg, and tons of lowlevel
things. My actual GPU knowledge is mostly limited to what was shown at
linuxtag a few weeks ago, where i was, once again, filling in the bottom
end bits. My knowledge of openGL* is extremely limited, and this
question is more for someone who has used GL on a variety of drivers and
hardware, than for someone who fills in the bottom bits :)

Luc Verhaegen.