On 06/06/2012 01:43 PM, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
Now I am having second thoughts, though, but still, a first, in
progress, draft API is in UNOIDL form is in touch/idl.

I see no need for a DocumentRenderCallback service. XDocumentRenderCallback will be implemented by UNO objects specific to the various callers of XDocument.render; there is no reasonable generic implementation that could be offered as a service. (Also, there is a subtle difference between an explicit zero-parameter constructor and an implicit default constructor for UNO services, relating to whether the constructor internally calls createInstanceWithContext or createInstanceWithArgumentsAndContext.)

But, that's the *specification* and *use*. *Implementing* UNO services
in C++, especially if you don't want to just copy-paste existing code
as a start, and then modify,  without understanding what the parts you
don't touch is exactly doing, is still nightmarish with loads of
boilerplate-ish rubbish.

I would go the UNO approach nevertheless. If you want to be able to call this from Java, don't underestimate the work you save by reusing UNO here. Your impression might vary, but I would say this vastly compensates for the mild amount of boilerplate you need on the C++ implementation side. (I might of course be routine-blinded, but in my eyes the necessary boilerplate boils down to not that much really.)

Stephan