Hi Lubos,

On Thursday, 2012-05-24 14:19:21 +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:

common subset of what --enable-debug and --enable-dbgutil do: enable
various assertions, warnings, etc. (technically, both enable
OSL_DEBUG_LEVEL > 0 and disable NDEBUG, for example)

what --enable-debug does in addition: settings that aid in step-through
debugging (like -O0, -fno-inline)

what --enable-dbgutil does in addition: enable additional assertions,
warnings, etc. that are binary incompatible

 Hmm. That's a completely arbitrary and non-obvious setup that I doubt anybody
except for you knows or expects, but on the other hand, I think I do not care
enough to do anything about it if you want it this way.

I expect this as well (maybe only us old OOo farts do), and it isn't
that arbitrary, though I agree it is non-obvious ... the benefits of
these levels are that

--enable-dbgutil provides additional checks, hints and output to stderr
when running the program without altering compiler settings like
optimization and such.

--enable-debug or make debug=true do alter compiler settings, aiding the
developer but sometimes unfortunately also magically make a bug
disappear. And produced output is slower and much larger so usually
desired on a per module or per file basis only.

Having complete symbols in --enable-dbgutil for me is fine because I can
still step through modules I didn't touch for debug, but is a pain on
machines with less than 4GB RAM. So I think that should be optional
--enable-symbols

  Eike

GnuPG key 0x293C05FD : 997A 4C60 CE41 0149 0DB3  9E96 2F1A D073 293C 05FD