On 05/22/2012 04:02 PM, Lubos Lunak wrote:
On Tuesday 22 of May 2012, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
On 05/22/2012 03:19 PM, Lubos Lunak wrote:
On Monday 21 of May 2012, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
On 05/21/2012 05:10 PM, Lubos Lunak wrote:
On Friday 18 of May 2012, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
Ah, you wanted --enable-dbgutil to disable -O2, the same way that
--enable-debug does.  Had missed that point.  Hm, as I said, I prefer
my --enable-dbgutil --disable-debug builds to be -O2.

    What is the point of that combination? As far as I can tell
--enable-dbgutil is like --enable-debug but for changes that are BIC,
so only dbgutil without debug does not make much sense to me.

I rarely use a debugger to step through code, so I prefer to avoid the
--enable-debug settings that, AFAIU, are mainly there to aid in
step-through debugging, but nevertheless cause potential deviation from
a production build (like -O0, -fno-inline).

   But --enable-debug also enables asserts, logging and similar
functionality that should be rather useful for developer builds, doesn't
it?

But --enable-dbgutil enables that as well (and more of it).

  Uhm? If that is the case, then no wonder people get confused, since this
means that dbgutil is a superset of debug, except not quite. I've already
asked Michael, so I'm going to ask you too: What is your idea about what
these options do?

common subset of what --enable-debug and --enable-dbgutil do: enable various assertions, warnings, etc. (technically, both enable OSL_DEBUG_LEVEL > 0 and disable NDEBUG, for example)

what --enable-debug does in addition: settings that aid in step-through debugging (like -O0, -fno-inline)

what --enable-dbgutil does in addition: enable additional assertions, warnings, etc. that are binary incompatible

Stephan