On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 11:30 PM, Pierre-André Jacquod
<pjacquod@alumni.ethz.ch> wrote:

At least I understand why I always got debug builds with optimization, which
does not ease the use of debugger... and why it takes so long to build.

As occasional developer, I do not want to dig to deep in build options -
that is also not my interest. So with --enable-symbols, I was really
expecting to get symbols without optimization, not wanting all asserts
outputs.

If you are intending to debug why wouldn't you want the misnamed
'assert output' ?

--enable-symbols should do just that, enabling the symbols...
the -O level is orthogonal.

beside I though we already had some kind of nifty way to control the
message output level...

Norbert