Hi there,

        I up-loaded the output of my string debug for a writer start:

        http://www.gnome.org/~michael/llog.txt.gz

        It ignores ref-counts, and shows real lifecycle data per string - ie.
how many times a copy of this string is allocated. I'll write a script
to crunch it in a bit & show what is actually kept, rather than being
transiently allocated then freed during startup.

        Having said that, the top of the list shows no surprises:

$ zcat /tmp/llog.txt.gz | grep '^+' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n -r | head -n 10
  39472 +IMPLEMENTATIONS
  28446 +UNO
  11297 +SERVICES
   9618 +ACTIVATOR
   4809 +PREFIX
   4809 +LOCATION
   3393 +en
   2576 +
   1589 +en-US
   1539 +SINGLETONS

        Then again - I was interested tat configmgr 'map' allocations are in
the top memory consumers, rather than string allocations; but - perhaps
that's down to some breakdown by size as well as by allocation site.

        What's your estimate of the balance between strings and other types,
memory-wise ?

        HTH,

                Michael.