On 06/03/12 16:13, Michael Meeks wrote:

On Tue, 2012-03-06 at 12:43 +0100, Matúš Kukan wrote:
On 6 March 2012 11:55, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@suse.com> wrote:
       I guess the other big win there to get the time down to seconds would
be to get idlc/'s idlcpp to compile lots of these IDL files at once.

On cygwin, most of the time takes 5, and touching files is also slow.
The real work there in 2, and 4, is +-fast and you won't save much by
making it faster.

forking processes and filesystem are slow on cygwin, we knew that
already, but good to have some numbers for it :)

This seems to be true but idlc is called less than touch and much less than cp.
So, maybe next improvement would be to call cp once for all files from
the same directory.

      Sounds sensible :-)

yes.  there is already some weird code to group files with an extra
parameter, perhaps that could be re-used, i don't know why that was
introduced (by Ause iirc), perhaps because appending to the variables
didn't scale well once the number of files got really large?