Thanks for the answers, responses below.

On 13-02-12, Caolán McNamara  <caolanm@redhat.com> wrote:
The xmlhelp/source/com/sun/star/help/*.java route is the one that sets
the "bExtensionMode". I think this one is which third party extensions
can insert their help into our help system. The cxxhelp is the
straightforward backend of the "search in help" dialogs.

Yes, I found that java code (the HelpIndexer I refer to). I'll work on a patch to replace the
XInvocations of the Java code with calls to my code.

couldn't the ZIP creation just always be replaced by this alternative
code path?

hmph, indeed, seems that way on the face of it. Lets try that.

Great! I'll work on that too.

   * This implementation is using the master branch of CLucene's git,
with clucene-contribs-lib enabled (for CJK support). The released
version of CLucene is compatible with Lucene 1.9.x, whereas LibreOffice
uses Lucene 2.3.

I don't *think* compatibility between java and c++ file formats matters
to us, if that's what you're getting at here.

Ok, that's good to know. I'm not sure if the 1.9.x-compatible version has all the required
functionality (but I just sent another message to the list about this).

   * I'm not sure exactly how to make my code build as part of the LO
build, but could probably figure it out as long as the previous point is
addressed.

Presumably just editing l10ntools/source/help/makefile.mk and adding
another target or so in there will do the trick. I can hook this up and
see if how it goes.

Great, send me a patch if you get it going, then I can work on some of the other stuff.

   * CLucene (like Java) uses wide characters throughout, and defines
it's own TCHAR type for that. Can we make this play nice with how LO
handles strings?

   * I'm using some Unix headers, are these available on windows or
should I use some kind of LO equivalent of them?

Should be basically cross-platform stuff in sal/inc/ to handle any of
that stuff.

Ok, will check it out, thanks.

   * I tried replacing the HelpIndexerTool in
helpcontent2/util/target.pmk, which seems to work fine, except that I'm
returning an error code when the content/caption directory doesn't exist
(unlike HelpIndexerTool), which breaks on "shared".

I'll see if I can hook up what you got to our build system, ignoring the
lack of clucene in our tree and assuming availablility of system
clucene, and see how that goes.

I've got an update on this: I managed to create all the indexes and doing a few searches on both
the Java-generated an the C++-generated indexes seems to give identical results (at least if I pipe
the results through sort).

Gert