beginning to get somewhere with GCC ... gonna update the list of changes so far:

file ./configure.in: (this one should be safe for all platforms)
grep -q => \$GREP -q

file ./solenv/inc/unitools.mk: (this one should be safe for all
platforms, since it only affects Solaris, and Solaris 10 has the file
in this location)
GNUMAKE=/usr/sfw/bin/gmake

files ./python/makefile.mk ./libexttextcat/makefile.mk
./solenv/inc/tg_ext.mk: (only safe on Solaris)
"xargs -0" -> "/usr/gnu/bin/xargs -0"

files soltools/adjustvisibility/makefile.mk
soltools/mkdepend/makefile.mk soltools/util/makefile.pmk: (probably
not safe if SunStudio is the compiler ... )
remove Cstd lines

files ./inc/unxsogi.mk ./inc/unxgcc.mk ./inc/unxsogs.mk
unxsogi.pro/misc/make_makedepend.makedepend_1.cmd (unsure whether or
not this is safe)
remove xport-dynamic lines

file soltools/adjustvisibility/adjustvisibility.cxx (unsure if this
even works on anywhere but my system)
add "#include <cstring>"

I compile with explicit CC and CXX compilers:
./autogen.sh  CC=/usr/gcc/4.6/bin/gcc CXX=/usr/gcc/4.6/bin/g++
LD=/usr/gnu/bin/ld MAKE=/usr/bin/gmake \
--with-jdk-home=/usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0 \
--disable-ccache \
--disable-epm \
--disable-mozilla \
--disable-neon \
--disable-odk \
--disable-opengl \
--disable-systray \
--with-alloc=system \
--with-fonts \
--without-stlport \
--with-system-libxml

It's further than it has been up until this point, 1/4 of the way
around the nice animated status indicator ...

Jon