Hi Petr,

Petr Mladek wrote (25-01-12 10:57)

Please, look at
http://download.go-oo.org/lo/lo-release-plan-in-colors.png

I recognise that one - you showed it in Paris and we discussed it. See my slide #23 ;-)

=>  developers spend a lot of time on bug fixing

Here are the commit statistics from weeks between 3.4.0-beta1 and
3.5.0-beta1:
[...]

great data. also to point others to. However not so easy to interpreted. Because much the remaining 90 + % of the commits will be related to improving building, code etc etc. and indeed:

Note that the real numbers are higher because developers sometimes do
not mention the fixed bug number in commit messages.
[...]

Anyway, it shows that developers fix bugs all the time. They do not
spend months working only on features!

that is why we work to make happen that, over time, the ratio
   'spent on features' /  'spent on bug fixing'
can increase (of course without loosing on quality).

- 45068 Update from 3.4.4 on Win not possible without ...

=>  The problem was that it was hidden in the swamp of other bugs and
newer assigned to a developer who could look at it

that is what I say: as for now we do not always get important bugs visible in time - although they may well be reported.

- 41054 Saving problem ods with new sheets
=>  again the same problem with hidden bug in the swamp

indeed, the same problem

- 39118 Charts do not update
=>  there were more important bugs that needed to be fixed before

I won't argue that. But also here the process of getting attention in time is not optimal

Kohei, Markus, and Eike are excellent guys. They really take care about
bug reports and fix one after each other. I sometimes can't belief how
many bugs they fix every day.

I really love those guys :-) , extremely appreciate all they do, and have great confidence in all good that they do now and even will bring more in the future.

We are very careful about backporting fixes because we do not want
regressions. It means that it is a bit painful and time consuming. We
need a good balance here.

Agree.

I do not say that our processes are perfect. They can be surely
improved. [...]

and we work on that, as you too explain in the following:

My feeling is:
[...]

+ people still do not have correct expectations about the .0 release;
   I am afraid that many people still expect that it should be perfect

will start working on that for the 3.5.0

Otherwise, I hear relatively positive feedback about 3.5.0 betas and
rcs. I feel that we are in much better situation than with 3.4.0.

I fully agree here. Still - and that was what I tried to explain, and what you confirmed by the examples - we have to be aware that our process is not yet good enough.

Thanks for your answer and insight,

--
 - Cor
 - http://nl.libreoffice.org