Hi Pedro,

That would be too simple. See my example in the previous email.
You would need to match the keys for EACH keyboard model, regardless of
Locale.

Well, that doesn't scale (at least I can't believe it does), as it
would probably make adding keyboard layout stuff a full-time job and
add quite a few MB of install size.
(But I am biased because I am currently annoyed at the fact that only
because I use a German keyboard (with Strg, Einf, Druck printed on the
Ctrl, Ins, Prnt keys), I also get these German key names in my English
LibO interface. That looks ugly, especially on screenshots.)

This is particularly true for laptops (at least in Portugal...). All laptops
sold in Portugal have a Portuguese layout but the Special keys (like Ctrl,
Alt, Insert) have the English text. Obviously manufacturers do this to save
on producing specific keys. So Locale doesn't solve the problem.

That's really arrogant on the part of manufacturers (since Portuguese
is quite an important language, I believe), but if that really is the
case for most Portuguese computers, then it might make sense to
translate string [en-US]="Ctrl" as string [pt-PT]="Ctrl", etc. But
that decision should be left to the localisers.
If keys are actually uncommon in a certain locale, like SysRq is
becoming (in all locales, though), then we can only avoid using that
for default shortcuts.

Regards,

Astron.