Hi Noel,

On Sat, 2011-12-17 at 23:01 +0200, Noel Grandin wrote:
Yeah, that is what I tried the first time.

        :-)

But it turns out to be incredibly hard to keep the lifecycle of the
ScBaseCell objects and the lifecycle of the ScPostIt objects tied
together, because ScBaseCell and it's child classes get allocated and
deallocated in lots of different places, not just in ScTable.

        Right ! :-) this is indeed the problem - that the whole code-base
thinks that spreadsheets should be made out of Cell objects: where in
fact this is broadly a nonsense we have to fix.

        FWIW - great minds think alike, I also came up with a patch not
dissimilar to yours some years back; I used a spare bit in a flag on the
cell itself to avoid some of the lookups, but at the end I don't think
it really move us towards where we want to be.

        Sorry if the problem is a bit more of a nightmare than expected, but I
thought your initial approach was much more promising :-) where were the
biggest obstacles ? or did you feel that your changes were getting wider
& wider & wouldn't accepted [ which is unlikely to be the case, we need
the back of this broken ;-]

        Thanks !

                Michael.