On 19/10/11 18:17, Andrew Haley wrote:
On 10/19/2011 05:57 PM, Michael Meeks wrote:

On Wed, 2011-10-19 at 17:32 +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
What the LibO hsqldb code does a lot is call JNI's
Attach/DetachCurrentThread.  Googling around,
<http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6929067>  "Stack
guard pages should be removed when thread is detached" suggests that
reading /proc/self/maps might have been added into
Attach/DetachCurrentThread as part of a bug fix.  That would explain things.

        Good catch ! The irony ... :-) this Java bug was kindly fixed for us
indirectly via Andrew Haley to address the bad stack page left around when
we had run some java. That page was causing crashes in calc formula computation
in large sheets.

        It seems we can't win at some stage here. Andrew - I wonder are other
people getting frustrated by performance here too ? it seems there is
some huge /proc/self/maps thrash as we enter/exit Java now on Linux.

Hmmm, I thought this had been fixed.

See http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6978641

I am puzzled by this. It seems that the Java versions that do not have the problem (<6u21) are marked:
11-Closed, Unverified, request for enhancement
and those that do have the problem (>6u20) are marked:
10-Fix Delivered, request for enhancement
apart from 7.

So it rather seems that the fix has caused the problem, but maybe I just do not understand the SDN bug system.

John