On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 20:37 +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
So the chance of regressions remaining undetected for quite a while
is IMO higher here than for other typical code changes.

        Made more so by the fact that almost no-one uses the filter ;-)

(And the cost of analysing the regressions, if they are eventually
found, will also be rather high, given the aggressive pruning of
allegedly dead code in the meantime).

        Surely git bisect is pretty impervious to the size or number of
changes ?

    I imagine that something useful for testing binfilter's import (we
killed export) may be quite simple
..
    Is that what you were thinking ? :-)

I wasn't thinking anything in particular

        :-) well - if it turns out that, due to the un-varying nature of the
binfilter export, we can just couple the binary -> ODF 'import' of <N>
files, capture that as flat-odf, and diff the files vs. known-good
templates quickly; perhaps we can end up with a fast, simple &
debuggable in-process unit test for this involving almost no code, and
that is rather useful of course.

        Regards,

                Michael.