On Fri, 2011-09-23 at 04:28 -0500, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
Well, Peter asked the question on the list before starting to work on
it and and the consensus was that for these limited cases the benefit
outweighed the cost.

        Indeed - the outcome of the:

        'use of apache ant in libreoffice'

        thread from Wed, seemed (to me) to be that there is an advantage to
being able to properly parallelize and gnumake-ify the java compiles,
and if there are (increasingly) few java pieces and we can drop ant in
some star-trek future as a build dep, that is surely no bad thing.

        Clearly there is then no prohibition on using ant, or external / java
packages that require it - but Peter's patches seem to convert two of
the five modules using ant to (cleaner) gnu make files in the process
and leave only: beanshell scripting and xmerge requiring ant.

        Seems like progress to me, I'd love to see that included.

        ATB,

                Michael.