On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 11:54:17PM -0600, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
The attached patch is an attempt to bring some sanity to the situation:

It seems that you have investigate this quite deeply and I would love
to commit and push your patch. However, I am a bit scared. Could
somebody else who actually understands the issues involved have a
look?

I know most of this stuff by heart anyway :) the mess of handling font
vertical metrics across applications and platforms is one of the things
that keeps font developers awake at night.

This only done for 'unx' similar work is needed for 'win' and 'aqua',
but I'm not familiar with these platforms and can't test on it.

I wonder if this patch will then introduce significant rendering
differences between platforms? Or do we have such anyway already (even
if the same fonts are present)?

For this issues at least we can try to do it the same on all platforms.
I can try to come with patches for Windows and Mac but I was hoping
someone more familiar than me would do it.

After a bit of research, Windows has GetOutlineTextMetrics() that
returns the typographic metrics as opposed to GetTextMetrics() that is
currently used:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd144906%28v=VS.85%29.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd144941%28v=VS.85%29.aspx

It shouldn't be hard to adapt GetFontMetric implementation in
vcl/win/source/gdi/salgdi3.cxx to use the new function and have the same
logic as the unix code.

The Mac code seems to use the old ATS APIs and I can't find a way to
obtain typographic metrics using it, though it very likely to be
obtaining its metrics from HHEA table which should be the same for typo
metrics in OS/2 table for most fonts. Font designers even consider HHEA
as the Mac metrics table, so it might even be desirable to keep Mac as
is.

Lastly, can you confirm that your patch is licensed under LGPLv3+ and
MPL1.1?

Like my previous patches, all are LGPLv3+ and MPL1.1 licensed (though
the patch have been already committed :) )

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny