On Thu, 2011-08-18 at 11:22 +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
Hi Terence,

On Tue, 2011-08-16 at 11:50 -0400, Terrence Enger wrote:
Resolution: I hereby resolve that I shall ask about my next
rebuild problem *before* I confuse things beyond
description.

      Heh - unfortunately, incremental building can be fraught with problems
- mostly around dependencies; quite possibly we should have a 'make
dep-clean' rule (or somesuch) that discards inter-file dependencies.

Thank you for the reassurance.  I was assuming that I had
fat-fingered something.

I guess after all that I may be capable of doing
`git pull && make`, but I would have to come back to the
list at the first problem.  Would that help the project?
(Regardless, if there is interest in the questions I raise
below, I shall hold off for a while.)

Isn't it funny that you should mention "something went
wrong"?  I am trying to rebuild with recent source just so
that I can say confidently that something still goes wrong.

      Ah - nice ;-)

Nicer still, several of these things do *not* go wrong now.

I do have another "something goes wrong" that I have not
mentioned here because I cannot say exactly how to make it
go wrong.  Is there a way that I can make LibreOffice log
my actions--keystrokes, mouse clicks--so that I can see
exactly what I did?  Of course, this "go wrong" only happens
when I am thinking about something else.  <sigh />

      Sadly not that I'm aware of. Of course - in theory the undo stack has a
certain amount of that information for you - though whether it could be
printed out / interpreted in a useful way is very much open to
question :-) perhaps just clicking the drop-down might help there (in
writer) ?

And with the numerous windows, panes, sub-panes, and program
threads, a newbie like me cannot even guess at how to
alleviate the sadness.  There might be something in X11, but
I think it is a long shot.

      Do you get a segv ? if so, perhaps reporting a good stack trace would
help - or is it an odd behavioural problem ?

I have a persisting behavioural problem, which I have asked
about in the thread starting with "A failed query to ODBC
data source"
<http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/discuss/msg07455.html>.
Short version: a persistent problem, but I cannot suggest
that anybody else should care.  Until somebody else says
they care, I just wish I could stop thinking about ways to
attack the problem.  $SWEAR_WORD, I thought of another way
even as I was writing the previous sentence.

One SEGV has happened only with an earlier build.  I do have
a backtrace.  Is it still of interest?

Two SEGVs are in my latest build (master aa51fd4), but they
do not happen again with grossly similar user actions.  I do
have backtraces.  I even have a typescript of the entire gdb
session.  Given my inability to make them happen again, are
they of interest?

Thanks,
Terry.