On Tue, 2011-08-09 at 21:33 +0200, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
Hi *,

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 8:58 PM, Terrence Enger <tenger@iseries-guru.com> wrote:
On Mon, 2011-08-08 at 11:40 +0200, Christian Lohmaier wrote:

Not true either. Default ccache size is 1GB, and that is enough when
you focus on one branch. (a build uses less than 500MB)

Just a note about what I have observed, for anybody who
happens to care.

   cache directory                     /home/terry/.ccache
   cache hit (direct)                  6158
   cache hit (preprocessed)              37
   cache miss                         11986
[...]
   files in cache                     30789
   cache size                           4.1 Gbytes
   max cache size                      10.0 Gbytes

This makes me really glad that I set a max cache size larger
than the default 1 GB,

So you showed some irrelevant numbers, at least for the current topic.
Your cache is filled with other stuff already, not with just the files
from one single build.
And of course ccache will happily use whatever size is available
before it starts to expire old files.

Actually, my cache was empty when I started just after
midnight ...

    cache directory                     /home/terry/.ccache
    cache hit (direct)                     0
    cache hit (preprocessed)               0
    cache miss                             0
    files in cache                         0
    cache size                             0 Kbytes
    max cache size                       1.0 Gbytes

Then I increased the maximum size.

But yes, If you build with debug symbols, you need larger cache size.
The <500MB for a build was referring to product builds, without any
debugging options.

For comparison, after I had completed several non-product
builds of OpenOffice, my cache statistics looked like ...

   cache directory
/media/2ced347d-3cdc-49f5-956d-099d36784957/terry/OOo_hacking/SRC_DIR_ccache
   cache hit (direct)                     0
   cache hit (preprocessed)           15499
   cache miss                         14993

That is a rather bad hit ratio - something between 5:1 and 10:1 when
building often would be what I expect. 1:1 is when you build versions
that did have lots of changes in between.
And no direct hits? Did you disable it?

This is from last year.  I suspect the numbers result from
two builds, the first giving almost all misses and second
giving almost all hits.

I dunno about direct hits.  Direct hits may be a feature
newer than the ccache I was running then.

(snip)
   max files                         100000

Any reason why you set a limit on the number of files?

No, I think ccache did that all on its own.  OTOH, the man
page says there is no default value for --max-files.  The
output from `script` does not contain the string
"max-files".  Sigh.

Terry.