Hi Michael, Markus, ... :-)

Am Freitag, den 10.06.2011, 10:19 +0100 schrieb Michael Meeks:
Hi Christophe,
On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 00:18 +0200, Christoph Noack wrote:
[...]

      If it takes four seconds we get perhaps the worst case: for the first
1/2 second we'll not see anything - then we get 12%, then 25% then 37.5%
then 50% and so on over the remaining 3.5 seconds. Personally I think
that is 'smooth enough'
[...]

Mmmh, it may still feel "old school" - although I'm not representing the
visual design side (I'm more experienced in usability/utility stuff).
So, if there is a chance to both keep a decent performance and let it
behave nice, then ... you know ;-)

Thus, if we know (and its possible), we should simply avoid the progress
indicator for such fast operations.

      Sure - so this should be quite easy; after our first half-second, we
can judge the percentage completeness, if it is >50% we can not show it
[ though we would need to un-conditionally if it is not complete another
second later I guess ].

Since a few days passed, I was thinking whether the initial stated 500ms
do really fit ... but this is something that might be easily tweaked in
the code, or?

[...]

By the way, another question. One of the things that might (visually)
drive people nuts is the fact, that we (almost) use the whole width of
the status bar to show the progress bar ... on large screens, this leads
to 50cm progressbar flashing.

      Wow - so; it would be great to shrink that progress bar - that would
simultaneously make it much faster to render; mine is perhaps 1600
pixels wide so with a gradient so: perhaps this is the key fix.

 Would it be possible to adapt the progress
bar to be (let's say) 200px (if space permits), or smaller (if the LibO
window size isn't adequate). Visually, this would be an improvement ...

      Yes ! :-) it is a win-win I think.

That would be great! I felt free to collect some (more detailed)
information in the Design Team's Whiteboards section. Please have a
look ... at the moment, I omitted the "wait 500ms stuff".

My rationale: There is a lot (let's use Michael's usual terms) "progress
bar nastiness" in LibreOffice, so I thought it would be great to have a
common resource for that.

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Progress_Indicators

For those who want to dig a bit deeper into the "beauty and utility of
progress indicators",

      Thanks for the helpful input; good stuff. Markus - do you have enough
to go on ? and/or are you excited :-)

Markus, will that work? Please tell me what you need.

Cheers,
Christoph