Hi Christophe,

On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 00:18 +0200, Christoph Noack wrote:
Let's add some more issues ... and thoughts :-)

        Nice input indeed :-) thanks.

True. Of course, there is some magic on some platforms to let the
progress indicators appear "continuously updated", but the most sane
solution is to really provide smooth data to them. As Cor pointed out,
this is for the "experience" part in UX ... everything else behaves
80's :-)

        Heh - sure; so - if we have a -very- long running task, the progress
bar will update in small, smooth increments - still at 2 fps - but
you'll see it inching along like a snail. So that is no problem.

        If it takes four seconds we get perhaps the worst case: for the first
1/2 second we'll not see anything - then we get 12%, then 25% then 37.5%
then 50% and so on over the remaining 3.5 seconds. Personally I think
that is 'smooth enough' amusingly the reason it has to be a little
chunky like that is that the 'Experience' already got to work on
progress bars themselves: adding expensive to render gradients etc. to
the theme ;-)

Moreover, in some rare cases the real performance (efficiency) of the
system is less important than the "perceived progress" - a task may take
longer, but showing a good progress indicator makes it feel quicker.
(There is some research data out there, but I skip it for the moment.)

        Agreed; in this case though being three-times slower and taking 12
seconds not four is rather sad for breaking the work-flow :-)

Thus, if we know (and its possible), we should simply avoid the progress
indicator for such fast operations.

        Sure - so this should be quite easy; after our first half-second, we
can judge the percentage completeness, if it is >50% we can not show it
[ though we would need to un-conditionally if it is not complete another
second later I guess ].

@Michael: and of course we need lots of configuration options ;-)))

        :-)

it seems they start any kind of operation and then check if there
is a need to show a progress bar. If yes, they do so and start from
0% ... (Later on, they use progress dialogs, but this is another story.)

        Interesting.

By the way, another question. One of the things that might (visually)
drive people nuts is the fact, that we (almost) use the whole width of
the status bar to show the progress bar ... on large screens, this leads
to 50cm progressbar flashing.

        Wow - so; it would be great to shrink that progress bar - that would
simultaneously make it much faster to render; mine is perhaps 1600
pixels wide so with a gradient so: perhaps this is the key fix.

 Would it be possible to adapt the progress
bar to be (let's say) 200px (if space permits), or smaller (if the LibO
window size isn't adequate). Visually, this would be an improvement ...

        Yes ! :-) it is a win-win I think.

For those who want to dig a bit deeper into the "beauty and utility of
progress indicators",

        Thanks for the helpful input; good stuff. Markus - do you have enough
to go on ? and/or are you excited :-)

        ATB,

                Michael.