Hi Bjoern,

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 07:36:27PM +0200, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
On Sun, 22 May 2011 18:45:53 +0200
Francois Tigeot <ftigeot@wolfpond.org> wrote:

What I would like to know is if there's still a reason to use this
suffix in 2011.
Unfortunately, yes: compatibility for C++ extensions -- at least for
the lower level libs that provide most of the UNO infrastructure.

Where can I find more about this ? I've found some openoffice.org web pages
about extensions but nothing really useful about UNO and the C++ extension
ABI.

It would tremendously simplify packaging to use the same file names
on all platforms.
Thats why it is already on
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/LibreOffice4, and why I

You're sure ? I do not see anything explicit about file names / platform
suffixes.

tried to make it easy to switch of the "creative" naming in the new
build system at once. Which leads us to the next point: Doing the
switch while we still have two build systems is not a good idea.

Ok. Three of the *BSD systems (OpenBSD, DragonFly, NetBSD) have already
had their DLL suffixes unified in a single one per OS.
Could it negatively impact something barring possible C++ binary
extensions ?

--
Francois Tigeot