Hi Michael,

Michael Meeks wrote (04-05-11 19:11)

        The problem is; once we start overriding the schedule routinely, we

Yes, but I did not see anyone ask for a routine in this.
More that people are looking for solutions, or partial relief, in this new situation, with quite hectic circumstances.

slip endlessly, and no-one cares to fix bugs in a hurry because - well,
lets just slip the schedule instead :-) Also, the decision to when, how,
and by how much to slip the schedule is some particularly poisonous
problem.

I'm aware that a Release doesn't have to be bug-free (is there any
bug-free program? :) ) but since LibreOffice is trying to get momento
over OOo it should make damn sure that AT LEAST it doesn't have more
bugs than the "competition" ;)

        Our first release: 3.4.0 is planned to be as buggy as the developers
let it be: ie. all bugs not fixed by the time we release will be seen
live :-) if any are serious - then we can release note them of
course ;-)

        Naturally, our 3.4.1 release will be better, and by 3.4.2 we will
exceed the quality of any existing release from anyone (at least, that
is the plan), by 3.4.3 we'll be in some fantastic zone of stability and
so it goes.

        This was the plan with 3.3.x - and (so far), it seems to be working
rather well; I think it will be the plan for 3.5.x too.

Does not sound too mad. But basically I see QA and consultancy people struggling with the situation, how to handle, help, communicate.

So IMO especially the mentioned unfortunate bugs we had last weeks, that were (are) really severe stand in the ways for all those helpers, can be seen as an important reason for the concerns, questions, and so on, recently.

Cheers,
Cor

--
 - http://nl.libreoffice.org