I'm not sure I understand this:  does this mean that RC releases are not
considered temporary builds and will be allowed to replace the previous
stable build?

Yes, that is more or less the definition of "release candidate", isn't it? Please remember that it
in principle isn't known in advance which release candidate is good enough to be declared a
release. The last release candidate is *exactly* the same as the stable release, the downloadable
file names, and/or directories, are just renamed.

If the release candidates still were considered "temporary builds" (your words) and thus
effectively a totally different product, with different setting locations and whatnot, how could
then a release candidate magically turn into a release?

(Note that "release" does not mean "free from bugs".)

Will Beta4 overwrite my stable 3.3.2?

3.4(.0) beta 4 will, yes. Because it was too late now to start using the ooo-dev (or whatever we
should call it) mechanism for 3.4(.0) beta4, the last beta of it. As have been seen on this list,
we who build the generic LibreOffice builds had no idea about this mechanism. And nobody bothered
to tell us (at least is a way that we would have understood) before some weeks ago.

But if the ooo-dev thingie works, then for 3.4.1 and later (and maybe 3.3.3, too) we can use it for
their betas, sure.

--tml